Friday

A Little Bit of Everything

In class yesterday I was catagorized as a dolphin, which I think is mostly true, however, in certain situations I believe I am more of a lion, or a peackock, or an owl. This seems to be true of our sociologists as well. I had difficulty in finding the sociologist who is mostly a dolphin. It could be Marx, because of his passion, however, he seems to mostly have lion attributes. It could be Durkheim because Durkheim theorizes about suicide according to interpersonal relationships or lack of interpersonal relationships, however, Durkheim also theorizes about social facts and rules which aren't dolphin characteristics at all. Weber is convincing because he theorizes about ideas, believing that, "Ideas can change the world." He also is saddening by leaving the age of enchantment, (an emotional era) and entering the age of rationality. He also believes the three major characteristics we use to make a decision are tradition, charisma, and rationality, all interpersonal characteristics. You know what....as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that perhaps this catagorization isn't so hard after all, I think Weber is defenitley the dolphin of these four clasical sociologists. An intersting dolphin/Weber question for the test could be to give some of the negative outcomes of leaving the age of enchantment and entering the age of rationalization.

9 comments:

MT said...

good going, Jdean.
Everybody: I'll re-do the syllabus today and post - because the dates for A B C D E are a week earlier. More soon. MT

Just Me said...

For me it was between Weber and Simmel. But as I looked over each of their theories again, I agree with jdean. I believe Weber's characteristics and theories matched to a dolphin than anything else.

Anonymous said...

When I learned that I was a dolphin I instinctly believed that it was the correct choice for me because I am a very emotional person. I believe that the Theorist that is associated with the dolphins is Emile Durkheim because he incorporates social facts into the sociological make-up of an individual, which includes a persons since of beliefs and belongings. A persons Emotions play a key role into thier decisions about life, as well as themselves. Being a emotional being myself I know that sometimes your feelings determine your actions. One example of this is when Durkheim believed in his thoughts on Anomie.Anomie is a state of feeling helpless and out of touch with society. That is why there is so many cases of suicide.Your emotions can become a vital indication between your relationship with yourself and society.If you feel that you dont belong in a group, you may feel like your unworthy of life. Even though its not true, your emotions may overwhelm your rational mind.

psychodude123 said...

i believe that simmel is the dolphin because i remember that professor tabor said that dolphins like to understand why things happen and relate them to the real world, and simmel was the person saying that there are patterns to the things people do. This to me means that he likes to understand why things happen adn i believe that is the main thing to being a dolphin.

Be Somebody said...

I agree with Jdean. Dolphins could be a little bit of everything. Out of the four sociologist Weber's theories match most; having change, no objectivity. In his theory their are three main characteristics of decision making: tradition, charisma, and rationality, all interpersonal characteristics, one of the dolphin characteristics. Being people oriented, and viewing that ideas are good, then perhaps resulting to change

avelar08 said...

I was having a bit of trouble deciding between Simmel and Durkheim, but in the end went with Durkheim mainly because of his anomie and sacredness theories. I agree with smurffet on the anomie theory. Durkheim's theory of sacredness relates God and society, which to me indicated a spiritual and emotional view of sociology.

A.S said...

I believe that in order to understand society in a scientific manner, one has to look at society through all perspectives. Marx (economics). Durkheim (individual). Weber (ideas). These three charactersitics do not go against each other, rather they tend to complete one another.
As for opersonalities, I believe, that in our selves, we have a part of each animal. we are part lions and part dolphines.....

the truth is only within the self.

angela88 said...

I agree, Weber has more of a dolphin because It seems as if he wants to use ideas and emotions to explain how people behave.

Meli Marx said...

I agree with you as far as us all having traits within us that can be owl at times or dolphine and so on. For myself however I find that I am predominantly a lion in most aspects of my life and daily activities, although I can definitely thinks of times that I was more of an owl or a peacock. So I think that although we all poses aspects of each we also have more of a connection with one. For myself that is a lion and I believe that for Marx it is a lion as well.