Thursday

Reflecting on todays class..........

I've been able to travel to a couple third world countries in my life, I wasn't able to fullyappreciate the experience due to personal reasons and I would like to someday go back so I can really appreciate it, but was able to realize that we are verrrrry blessed to live in America. I think the ideals our country was built on are beautiful, we've done pretty shitty at times in our history in reaching these ideals, but all the same the ideals are beautiful. What makes the way this country is built, great is that we have the right to speak our minds, instigate change, rebel, revolt, protest, which in a lot of countries they don't have. I also think as Americans we are spoiled. We are whining about not being able to pay our credit card bills (which does suck) while there are children in other countries who are starving, living in war, and according to Ty in class, getting their heads bashed in by rocks. We have it pretty lucky!!! I know I'm kind of an idealist, but I like to think everything in life happens for a reason even if we don't know the what the reason is at the time. I think maybe our country is going through this economic crisis (I say going through because I believe our country will get through this) because as a country we need a change in conciousness, so we realize what's reallllly important.

7 comments:

pippie7 said...

Yes! We are definitely blessed despite this economic instability we are all facing. As Americans, we will come together and life will eventually be better. My parents came to this country for opportunity and I am so glad they did. At times in my life, I do feel a lot of frustration. But when I stop and think about what my parents went through, I take a step back and really see how lucky I am to be an American. So for all of us who truly believe we are not free, let's take the time to reevaluate our lives.
We have it so much better than others...

MT said...

Warms my heart. It's a glass half empty/glass half full type of thing: whether you focus on the mistakes or the ideals. I say: glass half full!

Anonymous said...

I think you make a great point when you emphasize our need for change in regards to our values. America's pop culture and gendered media have created too many superficial ideals that we all buy into. It will be very interesting to live through the latent functions of BO administration and the many changes that have been long over due in American values.

MT said...

eve - you have developed a smooth way to weave theorists and their concepts into your comments and suggestions, e.g., the latent functions of the BO admim.

jdean said...

Eve...you sound like a real sociologist, I'm impressed! :)

notoriousnel said...

i agree! we are spolied here in America and most of us do not know it because we have not been out side of the US to see and compare. my parents come from another country and the country where my grandparents are from is very poor, needy and disfunctional! America is very well put together, eventhough we are in a crisis, a country like America can not fail because many other countries rely on us to survive!

JRSOC said...

I can definitely agree with the comment that as Americans we are blessed. However, I have questioned more and more what I am going to do with the blessing that I have been given. I want to be less attached to the material aspects of everyday life and find the more simple pleasures in life like appreciating the sunrise and sunset and being grateful that I have a choice about what I want to have for dinner today.