Sunday

Movie choices

Check out this list compiled by the Writing Class. http://writingsoc.blogspot.com/2009/01/combined-movie-list.html Our class could have a lively discussion around the sociology in a movie.
2-12: I moved this up, by date - let's find a movie to view next week.
Only 17 people out of 47 voted, so I am using my executive priviledge to pick the movie. I had to time them to see what fit into our time slot. I, too, voted for Strangelove, so you could say it only got 3 student votes. It might leave some high and dry ... and I really like the descriptions of the Spike Lee movie ... Ghandi is far too long ... Debaters is great, but all in Writing just saw it and wrote about it ... so ... Spike Lee it is. We should all be able to relate. ~ Edited 2/18 8:30 am

7 comments:

B.F. Pinkerton said...

Would we be watching the movie first? I think it would be a great idea to screen a movie and then dissect it / discuss how it applies to contemporary sociology or vice versa. I’m just not sure of some of the choices listed though. Maybe we could start a new suggestion list…

I nominate:
1) Babel
2) Lord of the Flies
3) The Usual Suspects
4) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
5) Pleasantville
6) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

Anonymous said...

Here are my nominations:

1. American History X- based on relations of L.A vs. Venice Gangs, racial and youth issues..

2. GIA- based on the tragic life of the first supermodels, social pressure, drugs and lack of support...

3. Simon Birch- a touching story of an extraordinary boy with special needs and an important mission.

4. Pleasantville- the story of two teenagers trapped in history and how they changed the social norms and values of that time.

dbo said...

I vote for American X just because I haven't seen it yet.

MT said...

look to your right - there's a poll. Vote. = )

Unknown said...

I woul like to nominate:
1. V for Vendetta
2. Fight Club
3. The Green Mile
this are really good movies and if we do not have a chance to watch them in class i still recommend them

Anonymous said...

I would love for the class to watch a movie called "School daze" by director Spike Lee.This movie is about students at a all black university, but depicts the concerns that they and many other black americans have, which is the issue of "light" and "dark" skin color. Like Dubois and Mead who mentions about the "Colorline" the movie talks about the symbols that are used to identify a group.Unfortunatley the symbols that are becoming important have nothing to do with the innate quality of the individual. I thought that this movie was a good idea because this topic comes out in almost every race. The issue of skin color tends to outtalk topics of greater importance like happiness, and success.

MT said...

Sounds to me like a great choice for tomorrow night. Since so few voted, I can pull rank and opt for it. It also sounds like a movie which, even if you have seen it before, will entice you to stick around for our discussion of it afterwards.
Can you construct 3 questions that we should ask after it?