Tuesday

Wait there goes a black person!

So I read some where that vh1 believes that viewers are more interested in seeing black people in a ghetto role. And that's why the promote shows like "I Love New York" or the viewers favorite Flava of love. I'm not gonna lie that 1st season of I Love New York was like an ice cream sandwich...it was oo so good! Well anyways I know I shouldn't have watched flava of love because of its demeaning portrayal of not only women of color but also women period, but it was so darn entertaining and for some reason I am always attracted to shows that have black people on them. I don't need to see African Americans playing a ghetto role I just like to see black people on T.V. So If i clickin that channel changer lookin for a show and I instantly stop, Its becuz my mine quickly goes "wait theres a black person" becuz I like to see people who resemble me. The only time I watch the Family Feud is when there is a black family, and I only watch Law n Order when Ice T is on, and I don't really like him. I even once watched a Novela just because there was a black character and I don't speak Spanish. But what else is there catering to African Americans, the all black cast, Girlfriends and Just the Two of Us, is of the air. Two shows in which portrayed people of color positively. Anyways how come the show Friends could when so many awards and shows like Girlfriends can't even get a nomination! It's a CONSPIRACY!

5 comments:

spirit said...

makes sense to me - kinda like girls like to see girl movies

bella said...

Why did you like Flava of love? Was it because the women acted like complete fools?(I never watched the show but heard stories)

Ms Ashley said...

I agree that people like to see their own kind in action whether it be the same race, culture, class, or whatever. I am the same way but I feel no guilt. Its only normal. Plus it never hurts to see what other people who are alike do differently (if that makes sense).

Mr. Mysterious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Mysterious said...

Hmmmmm,

I don't know what to say, maybe you should get HBO. just Kidding.

So anywho,

I also have seen the show that you were talking about "I Love New York" and "Flava of Love", and the other show, what was it called?, Oh yeah "Charm School". We'll I have no idea were my comment is going, All I can say is I am sorry you felt that way.

When I see the show "Flava of Love" the content of the show does display how women are objectfied in a direct and indirect ways.

When it comes to the show "I Love New York", the men in the show does not receive the same ridicule as the women in "Flava of Love". Instead, they see New York as a "Ho", and Flava Flav as a "pimp". Maybe due to the idea of male privilege, masogyny of women, and the aspects of power.

Furthermore, when watching the show, the misconception of racial stereotyped is "highlighted" more in the show. If the contestants seems to lean toward their "perceived stereotyped" when it comes to race, they achieved more screen time.

When looking at the entertainment industry...

They have certain techniques and tools to buy into our desires and pleasures, beyond recognition. The entertaiment industry know how adapt, they have successfully blinded most people from real situation regarding current events.

Then, I ask myself why am I indulge in this kind of entertainment. My own hypocrosy needs to be question. After I watch the show, "I Love Money".