Wednesday

Me I

  • Can you describe the imagined "me" and "I" moments of a famous person - say, Barack Obama or Judge Sotomayer or some other hero? Once you describe some of the person's "me" and "I" moments of note as imagined from the "inside" of these persons, describe, also the implicit Marxian or Durkheimian or perhaps Weberian forces that structured that me-I self.
  • The self according to Mead is a dance of the me-I and the individual according to Marx or Durkheim or Weber is an entity made of of social and intellectual organization that exists "outside" the individual.
  • Spice: Would Dubois or Simmel have anything to add to your sketch of the famous person you pick?
  • Your essay will not be judged on its politics, so be careful that you are not slavishly "pro" or "anti" the person you select and simply repeat the mantras of the left or the right. It will be judged, instead, on its attention to detail, subtlety, selection of significant character-defining moments and incorporation of both popular culture "left" and "right" summaries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Marx's view we could never stand alone? Or are we never prosper standing alone? I think of this because Marx believes the capitalists kept the working class away from each other so they were not able to know how each other can prosper together or for that matter prosper apart without the support of others. (I mean prosper of the self not of profit). What is then an interesting thought of how we think of those people that do prosper by themselves (without families) as heroes or narcissist? (This post isn’t in exact response to the post but it thought about it while reading it.)

angela88 said...

When is this essay due?