Monday

Can we really do Gender? Somthing they dont want you to konw!

I did once believe that gender was socially constructed. However, I must say that I do not fully agree with Zimmerman and West. I no longer believe gender is fully socially constructed. I watched a documentary about a Canadian sociolgist who did an experiment on two twin boys. He treated one as if he were a little girl, and he treated the other twin as a little boy. The twin that was socialized as a girl was dressed as a girl, given dolls, and even worse his hair as a girl . At about twelve years of age he decided that this wasnt right. He said all along it didnt feel right, and he always desired to play with his brothers trucks. He eventually transformed his life to that of a typical male. He even ended up getting married to a woman. Still, he could not live with all the images of his childhood and commited sucide in his early adulthood. This poor young man's story tells us that there must be more to gender than what Zimmerman and West are arguing. Somthing biological was calling him to become intouched with his man hood. In the end the whole experiment was a tragedy because his life was taken as a latent consequence. Eventually, his twin killed himself as well. Absolutly nothing good came from this experiment! Maybe, the death of these two men can teach us to stop conducting immoral experients on humans for the sake of science....but probally not because people seem to do what they want to do.

5 comments:

RedPopPrince said...

Are you sure this documentary you watched was not fictional because there are codes and ethics researchers have to follow. And that study seems to have gone overboard enough to send someone to jail or other hot and warm places. Although, regardless of that documentary I do believe that gender comes from both nature and nurture. Maybe you should check out the year or era the study was conducted and then maybe it would make more sense to me.

mama said...

I bet it happened in another country and a couple of decades ago. I have to say the the sexes r not equal and why would we want to be people are not our differences make us who we are

mzLuLu_noFool said...

NO!!!!! The study was non fictional. It was conducted in Canada in the 1980s. I don't know what the Canadian law is on this type of stuff, but I found it extreme myself. Thats the only reason I watched it. I don't think the discovery channel would show a fictional documentary!

spirit said...

oh it is clearly both nature and nurture.
the forms of feminism that came reflect this: the feminism that says "Hey, we're equal" is one one "side." the feminism that says "Hey, we're different and the differences are good and woman's qualities should be honored" are on the other "side."

i.lov3.la said...

I believe it can be both nature and nurture however the bigger message should be that SEX does not determine gender.